What Should You Do If You Have a Claim?

How to Mark a Claim with Biddle-Shaw Insurance Services, Inc.

California law does not require residents to purchase homeowner’s insurance, but most lenders will. Though it is never the desire of any homeowner to ever need to make a claim, it is vital to know what steps to take in the event that you sustain damage to your personal possessions or property.  

Do Not Delay

Tell your insurance company as soon as possible that you have sustained damage to your home, and if this is the result of theft, be sure to report this to the police immediately. It is imperative that you understand the insurance coverage that you have, and that you ask for help from your agent if there is anything you don’t understand. It is vital to read your declaration page and know what your limits, deductibles, and exclusions are.

Keep Track

List the items that have been affected, and be sure to take pictures or video of them before any repairs are done. Do not attempt to make permanent improvements, as this is the responsibility of your insurance company. In addition, it is crucial that you keep the receipts for materials that you purchase in order to complete temporary reparations. Carefully itemize your possessions that were destroyed on your proof-of-loss form, and do your best to be present when the adjuster shows up. Notify your insurance company if your property will be vacant, letting them know the address where you will be staying. 

Contact Biddle-Shaw Insurance Services, Inc. in San Francisco, CA

We at Biddle-Shaw Insurance Services, Inc. understand how to provide superior customer service, and it is our privilege to serve the residents of Sonoma and San Francisco, CA. We can help you with all your homeowner’s insurance needs, and we encourage you to give us a call or stop by our office to speak to one of our friendly agents today.